Friday, March 23, 2012

Embossing Techniques and a Birthday Card

On my Isom Cre8tions facebook page, I have started sharing techniques that I am brushing up on (or learning for the first time) to use during workshops this summer. I thought I'd begin with embossing. My natural tendency is to make techniques work for me with what supplies I have on hand. (From a glance into my craft room, you wouldn't guess there ARE supplies I don't actually have...)  So when I first tried the "trapped emboss" technique, I did it without the recommended glossy cardstock and here is what I came up with:
Notice how there is still ink on the butterfly image in the first tag?  The next day I was at Jamba Juice...and since Archivers is next door, I decided to go ahead and purchase some glossy cardstock. The result:

Notice how cleanly the ink wiped off the clear embossed heart on the second tag? I guess that's why glossy paper is recommended   :/

Another embossing technique is to create your own background paper...and yes, for this one I used glossy paper.  First choose a background stamp and liberally apply versamark ink all over it. Stamp image on (glossy :)  ) cardstock and add a clear OR colored embossing powder. I opted for pewter for this one and used an old Cornish Heritage Farms music background stamp. Then rub distressing ink over the entire thing. Use a cloth to wipe off any excess ink:

It's difficult to show the beauty of embossing in a photo...it adds texture and a little "oomph" to a plain card:


For my card, I used some banners, a flower and tag cut out using the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge. I sprayed the banner and flower them with Perfect Pearls and used an old CTMH background stamp for the tag:


And voila:

The finished project :) 

Wishing you a beautiful weekend,
Marie with a :)

PS There is a link to my facebook page on the left hand side of this blog...follow me on FB!


No comments: